How your data is collected and used
From InsureBlack site Users we collect information about the technical mechanisms you used to access our site, such as your browser and operating system type; the link that brought you to our site; data points that help our analytics function, and which tell us what brought you to a particular spot on our site; and your IP address, which is automatically anonymized when used by our third-party analytics services. Collectively, this is “Usage Information.”
We use Usage Information to inspect, analyze, and improve our site and ensure it functions well with the technology used by our Users. In addition to analytics about the demographics of our Site Users, we use IP Addresses for Users not to individually identify you, but to confirm we can deliver the site and services to you based on local legal rules.
Newsletters, email, and chat
Users who provide their email contact to InsureBlack are opting in to receiving future communications to us, salient to our business. This may include newsletters, satisfaction surveys, and the like. In connection with our marketing campaigns, we also collect and use information about your engagement with our marketing emails (e.g., whether you open and/or forward those emails) to make sure that the products and offers that we inform you of are relevant to you.
Browsing our directory
You may browse our directory by providing your name, email address, and other information. This information is held by InsureBlack and furnished only to Providers you choose to contact for the purpose of purchasing insurance products. In order to facilitate the best possible experience between you and Providers, InsureBlack collects a variety of information, including your first name, last name, and email address. You may also be asked to provide your zip code, marital status, employment status, risk tolerance, living situation details, property and vehicle ownership, family information such as number of children and number of pets, whether you are a homeowner or a renter, your income, amounts of your savings and debts, and general details about your current insurance coverage. We use each of these data points to recommendation Providers that best suit your coverage needs. InsureBlack does not use this information to perform an analysis of your insurance needs.
Cookies and web beacons
If you use the Services, we also use a cookie to recognize you on return visits. You can remove cookies through your browser preferences menu, though the exact method varies depending on the type of browser you use – but note that certain functions on the InsureBlack site may not function if your cookies are completely disabled. If you visit from a mobile device, we may reference your device identifier or other information about where your visit originated. The various cookies used on our site last for ninety or more days.
- Show ads and to make recommendations for businesses and other organizations to people who may be interested in the products, services or causes they promote;
- Measure the performance of ad campaigns for us and for businesses that advertise with or through our Sites, including through retargeting campaigns;
- Serve and measure ads across different browsers and devices used by the same person; and
- Conduct web analytics on usage of our site.
Web beacons (also sometimes called “clear GIFs”) are small files stored and/or served on a website on in an email which collect, track, or transmit a data point back to us or to a third party. For example, we use a web beacon to assess whether an email message has been opened.
We use web beacons to facilitate advertising and functionality on our Sites, as well, including without limitation to:
- Associate our users with the reports they provide about satisfaction with our site;
- Administer and monitor email campaigns;
- Analyze the portions of our site that are used most often by visitors, as well as how visitors interact with our site;
- Perform A/B testing on our site;
- Optimize interaction with our data stores;
- Improve the functionality and usefulness of our support;
- Analyze the efficacy of our own advertising campaigns;
- Customize the content displayed to you on our site;
- Organize and administer other web beacons and cookies on our Sites;
- Conduct web analytics on usage of our Sites and Services; and
- Enable, improve, and effect targeted and re-targeted advertising for our advertising partners on both our site and their third-party sites such as Facebook.
In some cases, the above web beacons functions may be performed by custom HTML in our site’s code.
We do not currently have the ability to recognize Do Not Track signals.
If you submit a credit card payment through our Services, for example to purchase an “Enterprise” membership as an agency, we will transmit your payment details, including without limitation your credit card number, to the payee through an encrypted transmission. We do not store credit card information on our own servers or associate it with your other account information for any purpose other than completing your purchase.
Other uses of personal information on our sites and services
In addition to the above, we may use your personal information to:
- Otherwise provide, improve, maintain, or optimize the Services;
- Provide insurers with the required information for applications;
- Provide or offer other financial and consumer products and services from partners with whom we have entered into a joint marketing agreement;
- Provide, maintain and improve customer service;
- Tailor your experience with the Services to your interests;
- Develop and improve the site and the services;
- Respond to your inquiries;
- Communicate with you regarding your InsureBlack experience as well as other products and services that may be of interest to you; and
- In addition, we may aggregate your personal information with our other users’ personal information and use that information for benchmarking and analysis purposes.
Use of personal information for compliance and protection
We may use your personal information to:
- Comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities;
- Protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- Audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies;
- Enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Services; and
- Prevent, identify, investigate and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
How we share your information
Information we collect, generally
- With certain third-party vendors that help us administer the site and/or Services (and who has agreed to keep personal information they receive confidential and use it only or the purpose of providing their piece of our Services), including by:
- Storing and hosting our content or your data;
- Performing analytics on our site and Services; and
- Providing operations and marketing assistance to us.
- With corporate affiliates including any of our parent companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with us.
- With counterparties in the course of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, some or all of the personal information may be part of the transferred assets.
- To the extent permitted by law, when required by law, in connection with a court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency, or whenever we believe that disclosing such information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of us or others.
How we secure your information
We secure information stored in our data stores using encryption at rest and use additional encryption mechanisms to secure certain sensitive fields on our database. Our Sites use Bank-Level, HTTPS and SSL protocols, and transmissions from the Sites to our servers use TLS encryption standard or better. Vendors who receive personal information from us are contractually obligated to impose no less than reasonable security measures on their storage infrastructure, and in any case no lesser measures than they use for their own data.
While we take commercially reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, we cannot guarantee perfect security – no internet-based service can. No security system is impenetrable. Despite our security measures, we cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to and from us over the Internet.
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, California residents who have established business relationships with us may choose to opt out of our sharing their personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and (1) you wish to opt out; or (2) you wish to request certain information regarding our disclosure of your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visitors from outside the U.S.
Policygenius provides its Sites and Services for use by U.S. residents, and U.S. law, and not the laws of other countries, govern these Sites and Services. If you are visiting the site or any of the Services, your information will be maintained in the U.S. and in other locations where we may process data.
By default, we disable the submission of personal information to our Sites from Visitors using European Union IP addresses, regardless of whether the user is an E.U. citizen or using a VPN device.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not give us any personal information and do not use the site. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, please contact us immediately, and we will delete that information from our databases.
How to opt-out
If you wish to opt-out of the use of your personal information by our Services, we are happy to assist you. Please email us at email@example.com and let us know what you wish to opt-out of. Please be advised that certain uses and sharing of your information may be required to continue providing certain Services to you, and that you will not be entitled to any refund if your removal of personal information will make certain prepaid Services unavailable to you.
Questions or concerns
If you have additional questions or would like more information regarding our information collection, use of disclosure practices, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice to California residents
We are required by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) to provide to California residents an explanation of how we collect, use and share their personal Information, and of the rights and choices we offer California residents regarding our handling of their personal information.
Under the CCPA, this Notice to California Residents and the privacy practices and rights it describes do not apply to the information we collect, use or disclose about Visitors and Members when they initiate the process of applying for our financial products or services (i.e., applying for insurance). This is because this information is subject to the federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”), and implementing regulations, or the California Financial Information Privacy Act (“FIPA”), or to information related to our business contacts. The GLBA and/or FIPA governs the information of Visitors and Members who initiated the process of applying for our financial products or services.
California Residents’ Privacy Rights. Except as excluded above, the CCPA grants you the following rights:
- Access. You can request a copy of the personal information that we maintain about you.
- Deletion. You can ask us to delete the personal information that we collected or maintain about you.
Please note that the CCPA limits these rights by, for example, prohibiting us from providing certain sensitive information in response to an access request and limiting the circumstances in which we must comply with a deletion request. If we deny your request, we will communicate our decision to you.
You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination.
How to Submit a Request. To request access to or deletion of personal information:
- email email@example.com.
Identity verification. The CCPA requires us to verify the identity of the individual submitting a request to access or delete personal information before providing a substantive response to the request.
Authorized agents. California residents can empower an “authorized agent” to submit requests on their behalf. We will require the authorized agent to have a written authorization confirming that authority.
Online tracking opt-out guide
Like many companies online, we use services provided by Google, Facebook and other companies that use tracking technology. These services rely on tracking technologies – such as cookies and web beacons – to collect directly from your device information about your browsing activities, your interactions with websites, and the device you are using to connect to the Internet. There are a number of ways to opt out of having your online activity and device data collected through these services, which we have summarized below:
- Blocking cookies in your browser. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies, including cookies used for interest-based advertising. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Blocking advertising ID use in your mobile settings. Your mobile device settings may provide functionality to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
- Using privacy plug-ins or browsers. You can block our websites from setting cookies used for interest-based ads by using a browser with privacy features, like Brave, or installing browser plugins like Privacy Badger, Ghostery or uBlock Origin, and configuring them to block third party cookies/trackers.
- Platform opt-outs. The following advertising partners offer opt-out features that let you opt-out of use of your information for interest-based advertising:
- Advertising industry opt-out tools. You can also use these opt-out options to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by participating companies:
- Digital Advertising Alliance: http://optout.aboutads.info
Network Advertising Initiative: http://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1